January 9th

Larry is doing fine. He had to have blood and platelets on Tuesday, Jan. 6th and also again yesterday, Jan 8th. He didn't see the doctor yesterday but he had a blood test and they reviewed his test and determined that his counts were too low and it wouldn't be safe for him to go through the week end without a transfusion. He will get another blood test on Monday morning and will see the doctor around 3:00 that afternoon. Today is day 4 of his chemo and so far he hasn't had any side effects that I can tell but you all know how he likes everyone including me to think he is this big tough guy that can handle anything. I have been watching him like a hawk though to make sure he isn't hiding anything from me and so far he seems to be doing really good, praise the Lord!! Yesterday he was at the hospital all day lying in bed hooked up to the IV and all he could get on TV was ELVIS PRESLEY movies. Did any of you know that yesterday was Elvis' birthday????? Larry is NOT an Elvis fan although he does like a few of his songs. I can't tell you how UPSET he was that Elvis was on every channel. He got so SICK of him that by noon he decided to turn off his TV but when he did he could still hear "that Elvis noise" because all the other rooms had their TV's on. I was so afraid that he would just lose it and bolt from the hospital screaming "he really is alive, somebody just put me out of my misery right now"!!!!! Of course, I was there and being the quick thinker that I am I jumped out of my chair and stood in front of his bed and started singing and tap dancing (note to self, tap dancing should never be done with tennis shoes on). Larry's eyes got real big, he reached out his arms and wiggled his fingers so of course I thought he wanted to hug me. I walked around the side of the bed to hug him back but when I got next to him I guess he started having arm muscle cramps because I suddenly felt his hands around my neck and he was slowly squeezing the life out of me! I couldn't get away from him so I moved my hands around trying to find something to pry his hands off me. I grabbed the bed pan that was next to the bed and quickly knocked him on the head with it which got his attention long enough for me to get loose...... I turned around and started to run when I ran smack dab into this ginormous 9 ft. 4 in. tall nurse who had been standing there the whole time watching this horrible event unfold. I slowly picked myself off the floor, pushed my hair out of my face and look squarely at her knees when she said "Mrs. Roberts, could you hold it down a bit, the other patients are having trouble hearing ELVIS sing"!! I quietly melted into the chair, smiled and nodded......she turned around and walked away. I looked at Larry and was glad to see that his arm cramps had finally gone away. He looked so sweet lying there with his arms hanging over the sides of the bed, his head cocked slightly to the left, this goofy smile on his face and his eyes wide open.........I didn't know he slept with his eyes open, but where did that silver helmet on his head come from?? Oh I remember, it use to be the bed pan! I just hope Larry doesn't remember any of this when he wakes up. If he does.....this will be the last time I will email all of you until the bones heal in my hands ::--)) Sending our love from Houston. Please keep us in your prayers,

No comments:

Post a Comment