Still waiting on a SCHEDULE!!!!!


April 1, 2009
It's me again,
Larry made it back to Houston on Sunday just fine. He was hoping that they would start his chemo before now but when he got back to the hospital on Monday they said his insurance wanted another test run before they would ok his transplant. I'm sure you know what happened next..........yes he lost his cool and called the insurance supervisor and gave her a piece of his mind free of charge (he is so generous) and told them they should have gotten all the tests that they needed a month ago. Later that day he had the opportunity to do the same with the hospital business office because they forgot to send the test results to the insurance company. I know it's hard for Larry to understand that everything the hospital does has to go through certain procedures especially when he has to hurry to this appointment and wait then hurry to that appointment then wait. I'm real proud of the way he has such a positive attitude and he hasn't lost his sense of humor.

For those of you that are new to my updates on Larry I will try to bring you up to speed on his sister Linda Huff. Shortly after Larry was diagnosed with MDS in 2006 the doctors told him that a bone marrow transplant was the only way of having a chance to be cured. They said if he had a sibling with a match it would be better than trying to find someone on the donor list. Linda was tested and was matched 100% which was such a blessing.

On Monday,March 23rd Linda went to Houston to have preliminary tests run and they started giving her neupogen shots, two shots in the stomach a day which were on the 27th, 28th and 29th . She got one last shot before they started extracting the stem cells ( bone marrow) on the 30th. The goal was to extract 4 million stem cells which usually takes two days which is 4 hour sessions a day but they collected 4.5 million in just one session and everyone was just amazed.

Linda called me yesterday afternoon and said she just got home and she was so glad that her part was over with. She had been stuck so many times since the 23rd that she felt like a pin cushion and she couldn't even imagine what Larry has had to go through all this time. Larry and I are so very thankful for her love and selfless generosity. This past week has been very chaotic and unconfortable for her to put it mildly but she has stayed strong and her determination to help her brother is undescribeable. I just want to say "Linda, thank you so much for your gift and we love you dearly".

I just talked to Larry and he said he just got through getting a platelet transfusion and leaving the hospital to get something to eat. He is scheduled to have an echocardiogram at 1:00pm. His next appointment is on Friday which consists of an EKG and complete pulmonary function test and he will probably need a blood transfusion as well. The hospital will wait for the test results before they schedule the transplant so as of now he is still waiting. I am waiting too because as soon as he finds out when he goes in the hospital I will be heading to Houston to be with him. I've got my bags pack and my emergency first aid kit almost packed, you know like...........uh, where is my list-_-_-_-_-_I'VE LOST MY LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, I'll just make a new one:
1. DUCT TAPE
2. SUPER GLUE
3. BUNGEE STRAPS
4. BALING WIRE
5. MAGIC MARKER
6. WD-40
7. METAL BED PAN- scratch that cuz the hospital provides those (did you know that they make great helmets??)
8. _________________
9. _________________
10. _________________
Please I need your help, I know there are 10 very important things I always carry with me when we go to Houston (to keep Larry in line) but I forgot what they are. If any of you can think of what they are or have any suggestions please fill in and return this to me. Someone has to keep their witts about them and fortunately thats me:-)

I will try to keep everyone informed as soon I hear more from Larry. Your prayers and support for Larry mean so much to us.
Thank you and we love you:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment